Saturday 28 November 2015

Two Jewel-Eyed Idols

...from Fighting Fantasy #7 Deathtrap Dungeon and The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook. I made this connection years ago, but don't recall writing a blog-post, so stop me if you've heard this one before.

AD&D PHB (Tramp!) & FF6 Deathtrap Dungeon (McCaig)

Here we have Fighting Fantasy 7 Deathtrap Dungeon by Ian Livingstone and illustrated by Iain McCaig (Puffin Books 1984). Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook, by Gary Gygax, cover by David A. Trampier, published by (TSR 1977).

Trampiers is a classic horned demon image (possibly from somewhere very strange) while McCaigs is  recognisably derived from the Chinese Pu-Tai. There is a certain roundness of features, a slump of the shoulders, a rotundness of paunch, but otherwise the drawings are not all that similar, and statues with jeweled eyes are not exactly unique to D&D.

Nonetheless, I like to think Ian may have been paying a slight homage to Trampiers iconic cover. Textually the description is spartan enough to fit either image - "There is a large idol in the center of the cavern, standing approximately six meters high. It has jeweled eyes..." and in Deathtrap Dungeon, the left eye is 'stealable' as can be seen on the Players Handbook cover, the two thieves are busy wrenching the jewel from it's socket. The right eye leads you to death via a poisoned gas, which, incidentally was something I riffed on whilst drawing the borders for Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish.

Otherworld Dungeon Border [ZHU]

And then there are the two strange FLYING GUARDIANS, which begin life as statuesque figures in Deathtrap Dungeon, which may have been inspired by the two odd lizard-creature corpses that the adventurers are dragging around (sacrificing on an altar?) on Trampiers PHB cover. Who knows? I'd certainly like to think so, and that by referencing a well known image (in fantasy gamer circles at least) that a slight clue to an otherwise blind choice between left and right - an item required win the game and instant death was being subtly hinted at.

6 comments:

  1. These posts are fascinating....great fun to link up pieces of art and ideas. It's really noticeable in early figures too. The Hinchliffe range copy the Heritage etc. I read the Wiki entry on Trampier the other day. Rather sad that the creator of so many pieces of iconic art should reject it all, and then, when on the verge of accepting well deserved adulation, dies suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when the news Tramps death first emerged and was confirmed and was saddened in the way one is when someone you've never met or corresponded with but enjoyed and been influenced by their work passes away. Think I'll go through my Dragon mags and read Wormy this evening.

      The thematic similarities are interesting to trace. Also Brian Williams cover of White Dwarf #70.

      Hinchliffe / Heritage - I didn't know that and am not overly familiar with their designs. I suppose once you get past the historicals, not LoTR and not Conan, crossovers become less likely?

      Delete
    2. I seem to remember there are a few almost identical figures from Hinchliffe, Heritage and Asgard, particularly magic users and other adventurers. One day I'll try and post some examples (when I have time) :-/

      Delete
  2. It also reminds me that Statue in the "City of Traps", which you have to kiss a certain way. Mainly for the Buddah like pose and traps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well remembered. I'll have to take a trip into Kharé and see what that Idol was all about.

      Delete
  3. Well, you've given me an entirely new appreciation for the intricacies of your border art in the Otherworld Skirmish game. If I haven't already told you... I love those borders. They add so much ambiance to the book. And the book itself is so gorgeous - I hope you're duly proud to be involved in that worthy project. I was so impressed with it, that I bought another copy for my brother in Japan. Afterwards, he told me that he had an Otherworld poster on his refrigerator, so the gift was a direct hit.

    ReplyDelete